Sunday, February 8, 2009

Something to think about: Early Mornings

The other day at my new temp job, I overheard a professor talking to a student.

I didn't hear everything but the gist of the conversation was that the student wanted to have a later meeting time or class or something. Apparently the student didn't want to have to get up so early and make it to a 9 am appointment with the professor. Of course the professor was having none of it and told the student to get themselves out of bed and be on time.

My thoughts were: First 9 am isn't that early. Especially when you can roll out of bed at 8:45 and make it across campus in less than 5 minutes. 2nd...just wait until your employer wants you on time at 9 am and you have an hour commute. Or in my case be there at 7:30 in the morning. Luckily I only live 5 minutes down the road.

So think of having to be at that 8 o'clock class as training for when you'll have a real job and being on time counts towards whether you'll get fired or not. Employers only have so much patience for people who are late consistently.

No comments: