Friday, March 6, 2009

Working at a College

Working at a college gives me a split feeling. I walked by a classroom yesterday with a bunch of students taking midterms and thought "I am so glad I am all done with that." Today kids were lugging there belongings out to their cars to go home or on vacation this week for spring break and again I thought "I don't have to do that anymore. Thank goodness that's all over with."

At other times though, especially with some of my friends still in school, I get a nostalgic feeling. Wishing I was back in school, for all the fun, stupid stuff that comes along with living so close to a whole bunch of other kids.

I think the year after college is a weird one. It's so in between everything.

This morning a gave myself a mental slap for living too much in the past. Moving forward can be one of the hardest things to do. All of the wonderful times I had, in England studying abroad, my senior year, the plays I was in, etc., left me feeling pretty off this past year. I told myself "you can remember them and be happy you did all those things, but move on, because there's so much more to do."

Ok. So I'm being a little, what's the word, sappy? philosophical? mushy? I don't know you pick, but it all counts.

Of course, everyone's experience after school will be similar in some ways but different in others. Or maybe just polar opposites. Either way, it's all something to take in.

I wish I could have gotten more feedback from all the people I asked what life after college was for them. It would have been nice to post a more varying range of things, but oh well. People can leave comments.

Have a good weekend everyone.

No comments: