Monday, January 12, 2009

Input and Connections

I've been asking other people who've graduated what their point of view on what life after graduation is like. I've gotten a couple replies and here's one that had some good points in it:

Well actually life after college has been really interesting. Even though I got my Bachelor's in Psychology, I changed and am now in grad. school @ S.U. for Television, Radio, and Film. I think life after college is fantastic if you find something you really want to do. I have found out it is all about networking, and not giving up on what you want to pursure. Even though I haven't started looking for a job yet, I know that it is going to be tough, but just gotta work hard, especially to make it into the entertainment industry.

I think that the key is focusing on what you really want to do, and not settling for anything less. Even if you have to work a shit job and do some volunteering in your field, it will be worth it in the end. People expect after college that they are just going to go out and get a great paying job because of their degree, but it def. doesn't work like that (especially in this economy). You have to take what you can get for the time being, and never stop trying for what you want.

Beyond that, I worked at an employment agency for years and they would pass out websites and all that other stuff but anyone in life will tell you that the best way to find a job is network. Make a good impression wherever you go. I heard a lot this week of "be nice to the people you see on the way up, because they may be the asses you have to kiss on the way down." It is really true, and the bottom line is to keep in good contact with people, make a good impression, and they will think of you when the time comes.

Courtney B.


Really good point on networking.

www.linkedin.com

is a great site to keep connected with professors and other college grads. You never know if someone may know someone else that might know of something that will help you out or be a good opportunity for you.

No comments: